httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen STATUS
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:35:31 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>

> > > I am not saying that this is necessarily the way to go for Apache, but I
> > > do agree with Dean.  The current setup sucks.  I for one would be testing
> > > a heck of a lot more patches if I could just cvs update and recompile.  I
> > > don't have the cycles in my day to manually patch things.  That's
> > > obviously how we are finding most of the problems right now anyway.  Lots of
> > > patches that get +1'ed end up causing things to break anyway and this is
> > > caught months later instead of right away because of the current setup.
> > >

> > Sounds like a major topic for discussion...
> >
> > Some more: Why NOW? Aren't we doing beta for 1.3? Aren't we trying
> > to fix things and not add things? Why the need for this free-for-all?
>
> Because our beta cycles are too long.

Only because we let 'em be... Only because of responding to bug
reports only during beta cycles, we constantly improve and enhance.

> Features are worth adding.

Sure... But there should also be _some_ sort of governor on
features; or is our position anything that we can add, we should add?
I'm not sure that's a good position for us to take.