httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: Default Language?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 17:06:33 GMT
On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 04:37:01PM +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Yep, that's right. You should have a "Welcome.shtml" as a default (perhaps
> a symlink to one of the language files). This language-neutral version
> will only be picked if none of the user's preferred languages are
> acceptable.

Oh! Thanks for pointing that out!

However, it depends on what you request: suppose I have
  /Welcome.shtml.de
  /Welcome.shtml.en
  /Welcome.shtml -> /Welcome.shtml.en

Now when a user with "Accept-Language: fr" requests "/Welcome", she gets
the english version, and a german user will get the german version. In fact,
_only_ the german user will get the german version.

But when the request asks for "/Welcome.shtml", then even the german user
will get the english version.... When a matching file is found, no
negotiation is attempted.

If the symlink /Welcome.shtml -> /Welcome.shtml.en is missing, then a
request for "/Welcome.shtml" will deliver the german version for the
german user, the english version for all users who at least have "en"
defined as one of their languages, and "406" and the list of alternatives
for anyone else.

   Martin