httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: voting
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 15:35:58 GMT
> From: Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
> Ian Kluft wrote:
> > This isn't something you'd want to do for just anyone.
>
> With my best devil's-advocate hat on, I ask "Why not?"
>
> If it's OK for Dean, why not everyone else with CVS commit
> privs?
>
> Please don't read _anything_ else into this question... I have
> nothing but the highest respect for Dean and his abilities.
> Just food for thought :) :)
>
> chomp chomp

Chomp chomp... yup, a fair question. (Although, comically, your reply to
Dean directly addresses the "why not" question. :-)

Not everyone would ask for this all the time since they'd probably only ask
when they expect to have a little extra time available for a while.  But
with that said, everyone with CVS commit privileges would be the pool of
people able to ask their peers for this privilege.  When asking, they'd have
to set a time limit on the request (probably coinciding with their expected
surplus of spare time or a lull between releases.)  This privilege should
probably be withheld during periods prior to releases.

Who then would actually get it?  Beats me...  Not my decision.  Ask the
people who can vote.  Although it may be obvious I brought up the idea as a
possible compromise between Dean's gripes about the current process and
your concerns about taking it to the other extreme.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA