httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Kluft <ikl...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: voting
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 15:17:06 GMT
> From: Gregory A Lundberg <lundberg@vr.net>
> > Nice try.  But that analogy falls apart so fast that I wonder if you read
> > the part about responsibilities coming with the privilege?  If anyone
> > (or several people) were to be granted the privilege, the idea as stated
> > so far would be that it's temporary and they'd still have to report to the
> > list what they do with the privilege.  Hardly sounds like an emperor!
> >
> > How about a more serious comment...  It was a serious suggestion.
>
> That is a serious comment.  Why don't you check your history books?  Rome
> had exactly those rules.  Their history shows that eventually they will be
> circumvented.

OK, I'll acknowledge that you think the comment is serious but please excuse
me for not being able to take it seriously.  It's just too far-fetched to
be considered analagous to this environment.  I have a technical reason
for saying that...

Considering that CVS mails out notices about each commit, if someone were
to gain the trust of the voting members and then try to circumvent the
requirement to report activity, I'd expect plenty of voting members to
stumble over each other to be the first to cast the veto that revokes the
privilege.

Remember, the problem here is that a long-time volunteer is frustrated with
the slow pace of the process.  The idea here is to find a way to accelerate
the process of getting code in without removing all the checks and balances.
If you don't like the way it was suggested, it would be more constructive
to suggest ways to improve it.  Or make an alternative suggestion.

If the project finds a way to do this for its participants who have a history
of high-quality work, the potential gain is high and risks are minimized.
--
Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA