httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: config/1630: Full status reports are not enabled even with rule STATUS=yes (fwd)
Date Wed, 07 Jan 1998 12:47:37 GMT
On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 11:56:10PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> I don't believe it.  I just don't.
>
> How much simpler can a use of tr get?  <shrug>

We could (should? should enforce? recommend?) using the LANG=C locale for
compiling? Yes, I know "you natively english speaking guys" will disagree,
but I have have had to learn that many NLS environments are broken (our
company used to have a broken 'tr' as well - that's been fixed a couple
of years ago). It's not an ideal world, and it's been a hard way from
7-bit-ASCII to today's i18n'ized unixes.

Things like 'tr', 'awk' or 'cc' often aren't totally broken, they just
happen to make some assumptions that don't hold if LANG != "C".

I have stumbled over bugs in all three of these (tr broke for
character ranges, awk couldn't use floating point numbers
if the locale's decimal char wasn't '.', cc wouldn't even compile <stdio.h>).

All of these bugs disappeared when the locale was set to LANG=C.

Therefore, my recommendation is: in case of errors like these, try
  $ enc LANG=C make

   Martin