httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <>
Subject Re: Apache RPM available to look at
Date Tue, 06 Jan 1998 05:37:51 GMT
On Sun, Jan 04, 1998 at 02:28:20PM +1100, Anthony Rumble wrote:
> If your going to build a binary RPM for apache, it would be a good idea to
> take advantage of Mr Sameer's mod_so module.

I'd like to. I need to find it first. (Anybody want to point me to it
before I hunt through the archives?) I'd rather not if it isn't
considered stable by the group. The decision will be far easier if you
include it in 1.3b4.

> The other thing to consider with this, is some mechanism of being able to
> load a module rpm, and have it automatically included into the apache.
> Getting the .so file in is easy, is there some way of being able to do say
> a /etc/httpd/conf.d directory? Where anything in there will be loaded as
> well as the httpd.conf etc?

Well, I haven't heard an answer from anyone yet. I looked for an
include-files directive without any luck. I could either do something
in mod_perl (requiring me to learn mod_perl, complicating things
somewhat, and requiring Perl to be installed), or possibly an install
script, which adds LoadModule directives to a config file (really

But, now that I think about it, I'm not so sure this is the way to go.
Most of the add-on modules require their own specific directives,
which are generally too site-specific to be configured on by default.
So, it might actually be better to leave the LoadModule lines out,
since the admin will be editing the config files anyway.

Manoj Kasichainula - manojk at io dot com -
"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from a Perl
script." -- _Programming Perl_, 2nd ed.

View raw message