httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Manoj Kasichainula <man...@io.com>
Subject Re: latest redhat rpm of apache
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1998 09:51:24 GMT
On Wed, Dec 31, 1997 at 08:41:26PM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> (finally grabbed the utility from the rpm tools directory to strip the
> header junk off a .rpm, modified it to make it actually work, ran it,
> ungzipped, uncpioed, and looked through the latest package...

BTW, I'll soon be releasing my RPMs for Apache 1.3b3, independant of Red
Hat's (IBM gave me the okay for this). I'll run it by you first, and
provide it as a tar file for the RPM-challenged so you can avoid all
this.

> 	-ServerAdmin you@your.address
> 	+ServerAdmin root@localhost
>
> which I'm not sure helps anything...

Oopsie. I've been doing this as well. I guess that I should fix this.
It'd be nice to have something that works out the box, though, or at
least didn't provide an invalid address.

> The latest Redhat 1.2 package still uses killall for log rotation:
>
> 	/var/log/httpd/access_log {
> 	    postrotate
> 		/usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd
> 	    endscript
> 	}

[same for agent_log, error_log, and referer_log]

> Sigh.

I've mentioned this to them. In my RPMs, I've always eliminated the
first three killall's, and I'm planning to change the fourth to a USR1
signal.

> And for their httpd.init script they do:
>
>   stop)
>         echo -n "Shutting down http: "
>         killproc httpd
>         echo
>         rm -f /var/lock/subsys/httpd
>         ;;
>
> (no idea what killproc does...)

The same thing as killall, but killproc is guaranteed to be available
in rc.d scripts, while killall may never be available. Then why is it
used in logrotate? Good question.

> but restart is the silly:
>
>   restart)
>         $0 stop
>         $0 start
>         ;;

Fixing this too. Will use -USR1.

Do y'all consider the proxy module to be stable enough to be included
in an all-inclusive server yet? If not, I'll remove it from my RPM.

"Yes, I know a nose is not a butt." -- Darrell Fuhriman