httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: construct_url hardcoding "http" [was: solution to 'mod_rewrite.c wierdness' => mod_dir.c]
Date Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:47:19 GMT
On Thursday, January 22, 1998 12:36 AM, Michael Douglass
[SMTP:mikedoug@texas.net] wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 10:30:51PM -0700, Marc Slemko said:
>
> > It isn't ifdefed in other places.  Well, mod_rewrite is the only place and
> > it is somewhat modern.  The reason for this is that the US gov't is
> > moronic.  Such code could be considered hooks for encryption and be export
> > restricted.
>
> *eyes rolling to back of head*...  Tell me about it, I sincerely
> wish the US government would get it's head out of it's arse.  :)
> It's not like the encryption schemes are not _ALREADY_ outside of
> the US...  I'm so confused by our governement sometimes until I
> think about how the whole world runs....  It's all run by people
> who haven't got a friggen clue one as to how this stuff even works...
> *sigh*

It seems obvious to a number of people that the intent isn't to prevent hard
encryption from "getting out in the world", since its already out there. Its
to discourage and prevent it being used within the US. The better to spy
on you, my dear!

To paraphrase a recent .sig quote by Lars, its not paranoia if they ARE
out to get you...:-)

> For those Monty Python lovers out there:
>   "Help, help!  I'm being repressed!!!"

"Come see the violence inherent in the system!"

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell