httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <>
Subject RE: Apache holds just under 50% of the Internet Server Market!
Date Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:28:03 GMT
On Thursday, January 15, 1998 8:48 PM, Jim Jagielski []
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >

> > I have no idea why this was sent to me, but even in his clarification he
> > manages to get things wrong and just ends up sounding really silly.
> >
> Silly? Nah...
> He sounds like someone who doesn't really know what he's talking
> about, and people questioned him about it, so he felt the need to
> prove that yes indeed he _does_ know what he's talking about...
> But, of course, he doesn't.

This attitude is rather prevelant in Microsoft-based corporate areas.
If it isn't commerical software (usually from MS), then its shareware
and not even worth thinking about. The idea that some "shareware"
is actually free isn't even considered.

> As an example, that whole bogus thing about Apache being "freeware"
> yet "disk space isn't free" is almost too stupid to be believable.

Geez, fresh air isn't really free, either!

David D'Antonio CNE -
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell
  Some they will and some they won't and some it's just as well

View raw message