httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: Patch distribution and committing
Date Fri, 09 Jan 1998 22:53:54 GMT
On Thursday, January 08, 1998 5:50 PM, rasmus@bellglobal.com
[SMTP:rasmus@bellglobal.com] wrote:
> > Now, all this may be moot for development releases and such, but a case
> > could be made that The Apache Group has a responsibility to its vast
> > userbase. :-)
>
> I don't think Apache built this user base on the basis of being big, slow and
> conservative.

I think it built the user base by being very good. And, in time, this can lead
to conservative.
I didn't say anything about big and slow though.

> There is obviously a balance needed.  The team has a
> responsibility to make sure that the code works and that we do not
> make people upgrade every month.  But, I still say that the most
> important part here are the developers.  They should be allowed to develop
> as much as they want and as fast as they want.  Having someone tell a
> developer not to develop, or only to develop on Fridays between 7 and 8am
> or to only develop certain things is not conducive to a nice working
> environment.  And given the fact that we are a bunch of volunteers, a good
> working environment is crucial.

I'd agree, although I'm not part of the current developer group. But I think
there
is a conflict between "develop as much as they want and as fast as they want."
and "upgrade every month."

> -Rasmus

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell