httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: Patch distribution and committing
Date Thu, 08 Jan 1998 22:26:04 GMT
On Thursday, January 08, 1998 5:13 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size
[SMTP:Ken.Coar@Golux.Com] wrote:

> Let's not be too conservative, eh?  Let's try new (or different) things.
> The people involved aren't quite the same, the environment isn't
> quite the same, and the proposals aren't the same.  If there isn't
> a concensus, I think it behooves us to gather experimental evidence
> rather than assume we know all the answers - particularly since
> disagreement indicates that the answers aren't the same for everyone.

I haven't been around on this list very long, but one thing does strike me:
Apache is running > 50% of the web sites on the net and that does sound
like a good reason to be conservative, at least as far as actual releases go.

Having lived through corporate development (of a web server) where the CEO
mandated 6 month releases, I can tell you that it kinda sucked. We ended
up with lots of bug fix releases because we didn't have time to test
everything.
So we either didn't add much or added too much, mostly the latter to keep
up with other vendors who had larger staff and more resources. And we weren't
distributed; we all sat next to each other.

Now, all this may be moot for development releases and such, but a case could
be made that The Apache Group has a responsibility to its vast userbase. :-)

> #ken	P-)}

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell