httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: [sameer@c2.net: Re: ZDNet article]
Date Wed, 07 Jan 1998 15:13:09 GMT
On Wednesday, January 07, 1998 1:18 AM, Ian Kluft [SMTP:ikluft@cisco.com]
wrote:
[snip]

> And the state of US export regulations in 2000 could still get in the way
> if it isn't all resolved by then.  The export restrictions are based on
> a 53-year-old rule classifying any effective cryptography in the same class
> as munitions because of the way they affected the outcome of WWII.  Even
> though we consider it very important to have them overturned for use of
> cryptography in privacy protection, the military considers it very important
> to keep it the way it is - in their minds it's still a defense matter.

Actually, the situation is far worse, in that its the fine folks at the CIA and
NSA
(and FBI and other TLA government agencies :-) that don't want strong
encryption
used WITHIN the US. Exporting it is even worse, of course. With all the hoopla
around key-escrow, it is clear that the US government wants the ability to spy
on
its own citizens, all in the name of "security."

Not that its really important to this list, so I'll shut up now.

> Ian Kluft  KO6YQ PP-ASEL                                  Cisco Systems, Inc.
> ikluft@cisco.com (work)  ikluft@thunder.sbay.org (home)          San Jose, CA

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell