httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid
Date Tue, 09 Dec 1997 14:24:31 GMT
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> But things are not as cool as they could be. Click on a URN in Netscape,
> and it tells you to use a proxy for URN support. We ought to be able to
> build this into Apache, but if the browsers won't send a URN request,
> we're stuffed. Sigh.

Atually, due to the way URNs work, it as perfectly possible to 'hide' the
URN's behind the webserve wehn a not URN aware client/proxy comes a long
to fetch; i.e. the entire resolution is done by the last knowledgable
prxoxy.

Dw.

> Cheers, > > Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686|Apache Group member
> Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org
> and Technical Director|Email: ben@algroup.co.uk |Apache-SSL author
> A.L. Digital Ltd,     |http://www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL
> London, England.      |"Apache: TDG" http://www.ora.com/catalog/apache

http://cils.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
dirkx@technologist.com                     Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014       +39 332 78 9549       fax +39 332 78 9185
ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy