httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGu...@jrc.it>
Subject Re: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid
Date Tue, 09 Dec 1997 14:13:31 GMT
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Very cool - I think I'm going to set something like this up.

Brian,

As one of the URN folks and as one of the earliest implementors, feel free
to ask for any help; we have lots of scripts, libraries and the lot here
at ceo, as most our web systems are based on URN tech. Be aware though
that thee is still some controversy (or technical trouble) when it comes
to the actual resolution step. And I also think that not everyone in the
URN working group is completely thrilled by some of the syntax choises and
scaling aspects of what sometimes is called an URN, but behaves more tlike
a URL on steroids.

What is it you had in mind ?

Dw.

Duane Wessels <wessels@nlanr.net>
> >To: www@FreeBSD.ORG
> >cc: kostas@nlanr.net
> >Subject: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid
> >Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 13:55:57 -0700
> >Sender: owner-freebsd-www@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> >Hello FreeBSD folks--
> >
> >We (Squid developers) have recently been tinkering with URN support
> >in the Squid cache.  We're not doing anything really sophisticated
> >yet.  We think a good use of URNs is automatic redirection to
> >a close mirror site.  We are asking if you would like to help us
> >out by installing a simple CGI script on  your server.  Squid would
> >use this CGI script to turn a URN for frebsd.org into a list of URLs.
> >
> >For more details, see http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/urn-support.html,
> >or please us for clarification.
> >
> >Duane W.
> >--
> >wessels@nlanr.net                               Think Globally, Cache
> Locally.

> "it's a big world, with lots of records to play."-sig   brian@hyperreal.org

http://cils.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
dirkx@technologist.com                     Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014       +39 332 78 9549       fax +39 332 78 9185
ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy