httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@eu.c2.net>
Subject Re: SBNWire
Date Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:43:09 GMT
On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Gregory A Lundberg wrote:
> > Now _this_ is scary.
>
> Ok, what's so scary about XML?  It's not microsoft proprietary... or are
> there political manouverings going on in the W3C that I'm oblivious to?

Well they took it to make up CDF. I'm not sure if CDF is now going towards
standard or not.

> Companies getting on the XML bandwagon seems like the 1998 equivalent to
> the 1996 rush to get on the html bandwagon... but I'd gladly be educated
> otherwise :)

Well, MS are developing a lot of client-side XML technology (mainly in the
form of activeX controls stuff) to request/display/process data, so the
more data is available in XML the more they can blur the distinction
between the web (as a medium) and the MS operating systems, leading to a
situation where you can only view data really well on ActiveX clients
(i.e. windows). So while XML (and CDF)  aren't by themselves worrying,
they are being used to ease people into a microsoft lock-in at the client
end. Not that that hasn't been happening already. Other examples from the
browser area include the use of NT security protocols (which only work on
Windows browsers against windows servers) instead of the digest auth, and
activeX itself.

//pcs