httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@eu.c2.net>
Subject RE: Win32 support question
Date Mon, 08 Dec 1997 16:03:29 GMT
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, David D'Antonio wrote:
> Well, according to Microsoft, all configuration information is supposed
> to go into the registry. .Which means, of course, that httpd.conf and
> access.conf "should" go away and all that be stuffed under the Apache
> key.

Well, far be it from me to suggest that they were wrong with this registry
lark, but for IIS5 they've dropped the registry in favor of the
"metabase", which is kind of like a private registery for IIS4 (or to put
it another way, they are storing the config information outside the
registry in a per-application binary file). All they need to do now is
change the file format to be ascii-readable and it'll be just like
Apache's config files. Ha ha ha.

>From the latest Win32 SDK: "The metabase stores your IIS configuration
parameter values in a fast-access, memory-resident data store. The
metabase is specifically designed for use with IIS and is faster, more
flexible, and more expandable than the Windows NT registry"

> Seems a tad extreme, but the tray app could certainly use a key for the
> installation directory

Yeah, lets decide on a location and use it. How about

 HKLS/SOFTWARE/Apache/Apache

??

//pcs