httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: another naming question
Date Fri, 26 Dec 1997 02:43:15 GMT

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> Um... explain. I'm not talking about core getting functions from the
> module; we've discussed that. I'm talking about the modules getting
> functions from the core.

I think this is the complete wrong direction for the Apache API.  If you
want to define some mechanism like ISAPI that's fine, but it should be
separate from what we now call the Apache API.  In fact it might as well
be ISAPI, no?

The Apache API is a way to write code that is integrated directly with the
rest of the web server.  The work I'm doing with the process model
proposal is giving modules even more control over their interaction with
the server.  Using some of Ian Kluft's suggestions we can easily
generalise modules so that we can have "db lookup modules" which plug into
a single auth module (or any other module that wants to do db lookups,
like mod_rewrite).

All of this means far more "stuff" in the API... and I sure as hell don't
want our API to have complicated contortions all over to call back into
the core.  It seems completely pointless, and you have not proven to me
that conventional methods are failing.

For example, we still have the old logging routines.  Modules using them
still link.  They don't do quite the right thing, but they still link.
How is your method better?

Dean