httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: thread safe modules
Date Sat, 13 Dec 1997 08:01:00 GMT

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Ben Hyde wrote:

> The part of my rational brain in contact with my reptilian brain thinks
> it
> would be possible to default, or let the module declare, that it must
> have
> the access to it serialized - per call, per request.

That would be possible, and then the server could serve one request per
second really well.  Ok ok, maybe it won't be that bad.  Maybe the module
will only lock up the API when a particular content type is served.  But
suppose the module implements translate_name, or fixup... they get called
a wee bit frequently.

I wouldn't say no to such a feature though.  And maybe it'd be useful to
do proof-of-concept demonstrations.  But I think that for anyone hoping to
get performance they'll have to rewrite their modules to be thread safe.

Dean