httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: FYI: usage of new AIO calls (fwd)
Date Tue, 02 Dec 1997 07:21:01 GMT

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> If I were only writing for FreeBSD (well, or the other systems that
> support these calls; they are POSIX; what else implements them right now?)
> I would love playing with the aio stuff.

Solaris 2.5 (maybe 2.4) has 'em.  There's alpha patches for linux with 'em
as well.  IRIX has async i/o, dunno if they've got a POSIX interface
though.

> So, how does this fit into Dean's process model?  <g> (guess I should read
> it to be sure he doesn't mention it, but I prefer to study right now...)

aio is definately part of my plans.  It's the only way to do the SMM model
under Unix, which is likely the fastest model around.  My plan is to
actually hide the async i/o behind the fiber interface.  So you code using
apio_open(), apio_read(), ... instead of open(), read(), ... and behind
the scenes they're translated into aio calls.  The fiber is blocked until
the i/o is complete, and then it's scheduled into the next available
thread (possibly different from the one it started the request in).

Dean