httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: thread safe modules
Date Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:08:52 GMT
On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Ben Hyde wrote:

> But I'm shocked.  Yes it's a bummer but by default the old
> contract was that a module was called in a thread safe way.
> I'd never be able to tell my customers I was changing an
> API in this manner.  Reminds me of all those casual changes
> Sun made moving to Solarius (and it's currently regularly
> making to Java).

Contract? API? In Apache? Really? You have to understand something. Apache
has never had a documented API. Not really. We have an API that *should*
have been documented, one that would be very nice to have been documented.
But it hasn't been. What documentation exists is: API.html, a "tutorial"
file that Rob Thau wrote a few years back, the soure code, and this
mailing list. Now, it's probable that some third-party books might contain
API guides, but they don't come from the Apache Group.

And from the beginning, Apache has been designed to be multithreaded. Rob
Thau made it a point to mention this several times back in 1995, and to
point out that modules should be thread-safe. Weren't you listening?

But then, I guess that's the problem. At any rate, I don't think having
Win32 behave differently than Unix in this regard is bad, since Win32 in
general behaves differently from Unix.

And as for the future, our current plans involve Apache 2.0 having a
complete API rewrite, which is necessary and desirable for good and
sufficient reasons which have been discssed in the past and I won't get
into now, and I plan to take that opportunity to make sure the Apache 2.0
API is completely documented, including threading issues.

Since we will force module authors to rewrite their modules for 2.0, and a
lot of other things are going to change for 2.0 as well, and we're so late
into the 1.3 beta cycle, IMHO we should just leave this as it is.