httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Names
Date Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:28:04 GMT
On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> The executable under Win32 is called "apache". Under Unix, it is called
> "httpd". Why?

Because on Unix, we've got years (4 - which is a lot in Interent years)
worth of legacy to contend with. People are used to it being called
httpd, so it is.

On Windows, we get a fresh start. We can call it by our real name. Also,
the word "daemon" doesn't have much meaning under Windows.

Heck... this list is called new-httpd. If we renamed the binary, we'd
have to call the list apache-dev or something else that wouldn't make
hardly any sense

-- Alexei Kosut <> <>
   Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <> *

View raw message