httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Apache performance on Windows
Date Mon, 08 Dec 1997 00:11:34 GMT
So last night I needed to transfer some files from my NT box to my Mac,
and as I haven't gotten Services for Macintosh set up right on NT yet (it
only works on NTFS partitions, and all mine are FAT), and as near as I can
tell there's no way of mounting an AFP server on Windows, I figured I'd
use the web. So I fired up Apache on NT, and Netscape on my Mac, and
clicked on the file. To my surprise, it went really slowly - much slower
than I'd expected. On the order of 10-20 kb/sec according to Netscape.

So this afternoon I figured I'd try some timed tests to compare NT to
Unix. This data isn't imperical by any means (each test was performed
twice, the results have been averages). The server here is a Dell P166
machine, 64 MB RAM, running NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 3 and Red Hat
Linux 5.0 (a 2.0.32 kernel), both pretty much straight out of the box. The
client is a PowerBase 180 (Mac clone), using Netscape Navigator 4.04. They
are connected directly via Ethernet, on a low-traffic network segment of
Stanford University's network (the one servicing my dorm).

I transferred one 3.1 meg file:

Windows NT, Apache 1.3b4-dev: 28 seconds
Linux, Apache 1.3b4-dev: 22 seconds
Linux, Apache 1.2.4: 22 seconds

So obviously it wasn't nearly as slow as it was last night, which confuses
me. I tried back-CVSing to yesterday's version of Apache, to see if that
made a difference, but it didn't. So I guess that was a fluke (?). At any
rate, NT isn't being appreciably slower than Unix, and 1.3 isn't being
appreciably slower than 1.2. Of course, I am hardly simulating any sort of
real-world condition here, but it's a peice of data that people might find
interesting.

P.S. We need to add "mp3" to the audio/mpeg entry in mime.types.