httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Shared modules on Unix
Date Sun, 07 Dec 1997 23:06:36 GMT
On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:
> > I think this is something I'll get more into when I think more closely
> > about the Apache 2.0 API. But right now I have finals, so I'll stop
> > thinking now (no, wait, that didn't come out right...)
>
> Finals? Isn't a bit soon for those? Or did I just fall asleep for 3
> years? Or is a final something different over there?

Probably a bit of all three. This reminds me of a thread that was on
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated a month or so ago that involved US and
UK residents explaining their education systems to each other. I noticed
that a good chunk of the US people didn't quite understand their own
system (some things - like what SAT stands for - have changed recently, so
I forgive them).

At any rate, US undergraduate schools are generally run on either the
semester or the quarter system. There are two semesters in an academic
year, one from September through January (or August
through December), and the other from February (or January) through May.
An academic year can also consist of three quarters (summer is the forth),
generally spanning the months of (late) September through December,
January through March, and April through mid-June. Stanford is on the
quarter system, so right now is the end of the Fall quarter for me.

Generally, courses will last for one semester or one quarter, no longer.
Material that takes longer to cover is broken up into more than one class.
So every class has a final when it is over. Which, for me, is right about
now.

Hopefully that's clear. How does it work on the other side of the pond?