httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject Re: Shared modules on Unix
Date Sun, 07 Dec 1997 20:40:34 GMT
On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Anyway to make compiling modules for shared libraries easier, the patch
> below updates Configure. Now as well as AddModule you can also use
> SharedModule, like this:
>
>   SharedModule modules/standard/mod_rewrite.so

Interesting. Haven't tried it yet, but it's a good idea, although I'm not
sure if we should by default on Unix make any modules as shared libaries
(IMHO, it's still too inconsistent).

One thing we should think about is including a -DSHARED_MODULE or
something in the compiler line when a module is being compiled that way,
so it knows and can maybe do things differently (what, I don't know).

I think this is something I'll get more into when I think more closely
about the Apache 2.0 API. But right now I have finals, so I'll stop
thinking now (no, wait, that didn't come out right...)