httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Андрей Чернов <a...@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject Re: "locale" project
Date Fri, 19 Dec 1997 19:56:49 GMT
On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yeah... you're right.  But we could provide locale C specific functions --
> and maybe we can even do it in a way that a server can be built with the
> option of using only locale C, or using C and one other.

A program already runs with "C" locale by default unless it calls
setlocale() directly, so you don't need any functions to implement "C"
locale, it is already here.

For "other" locale you need to relay on libc setlocale() and others or
implement Apache's own setlocale() family with data set for each locale
users want to use. Also you need re-implement affected functions such as
strcoll, strxfrm, strftime, whole ctype, glob and regexp and maybe printf.

> move this way as well... and as we replace string and alloc functions we
> venture further and further away from libc.

Just two examples from FreeBSD libc:
string functions are mostly in assembler and malloc functions effecttively
talk to kernel VM system to give more optimization and returning memory
back to VM. All this features will lost with re-implementing :-(
Ok, ok, I keep silence...

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>