httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: strncpy is evil
Date Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:42:12 GMT
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm advocating these for 1.3.  I'd love to get the

Advocating which?

> "non-aggressive" optimizations in though... by "aggressive" I mean ones
> which are not necessarily right for all setups... like the mod_include one

Do the strncpy changes in 1.3.

Add ap_copydatstringrightnow and convert all strncpys (well, unless
there are any where they use the zero fill on purpose... can't
think of any) to it.

1.3.

This isn't that major of a change, but helps cleanup the strncpy mess
and gives a performance boost.  Especially when you consider all
the places where there are 8k buffers used for something like
a port number.  strncpy can get expensive there.