httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: another misc speedup: three fewer syscalls
Date Mon, 22 Dec 1997 00:19:43 GMT
On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >
> > Just cleaning up my source trees, seeing what patches I've got lying
> > around that I've never posted...
> >
> > This is a method of eliminating the SIGUSR1 manipulation during a
> > request... removing three system calls from the request.  It's only been
> > lightly tested, but doesn't seem to improve performance that much so I
> > didn't bother pursuing it.  I mention this on the perf-tuning page when
> > I'm explaining how to get rid of more syscalls.
>
> This makes me wonder - if it doesn't improve performance that much, why
> the obsession with syscalls?

Because with context-switch bastards like Solaris it may make more of a
difference?

Because most syscalls do have a bigger impact.

Because they are easy things to optimize, so who cares if they help it
still looks good.  (best reason)

Because they have an impact on low-level issues that may not be obvious
from trivial benchmarking.