httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject RE: thread safe modules
Date Fri, 12 Dec 1997 22:04:36 GMT
On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 George_Carrette@iacnet.com wrote:

> As an example, Netscape 2.0 has some configuration options that allowed one to
> revert
> to the previous Netscape 1.2 behavior. Set max threads per process to 1.
> Obviously when Apache was ported to windows however the person didn't
> bother using the sys$creatproc, er. I mean, sorry (vms getting to me)
> WINAPI createproc() calls.
>
> As far as netscape went, setting max threads per process worked, but caused
> other
> performance problems, so, code had to be made thread safe.

I will fight strongly against any threading changes to Apache that
impose a significant performance hit on non-threaded systems (systems that
either don't have threads or where you don't what to use them for whatever
reasons), and I'm sure I'm not alone and I know of no plans that don't
agree with this goal.

Windows is different because you have no choice but to use threads.