httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Apache performance on Windows
Date Mon, 08 Dec 1997 01:29:01 GMT
On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Andrew Wilson wrote:
>
> > Alexei
> > >
> > > P.S. We need to add "mp3" to the audio/mpeg entry in mime.types.
> >
> > Just another one of those block-rockin beats.
> >
> > It's cool.  Like FSP all over again.  Thigpen will love it.
> >
> > YAy!
>
> Umm... what the heck does this mean?
>
> And now I'm really confused again. I tried to transfer the same file, one
> more time, this time under Windows 95 (with the same binary used for NT).
> The resultant time was 17 seconds. If you check my earlier message, you'll
> note that I found times of 22 seconds for Linux and 28 seconds for Windows
> NT.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was other network traffic or some other
factor.

Some TCP stacks do gain an unfair advantage by deliberately
ignoring proper congestion control mechanisms (hi Sun...) but
that shouldn't have that big of an impact.

How big is the file?  If you aren't getting at very least 500 kbyte/sec,
then either the server or client sucks or your network does have traffic.

Dorm networks often have high traffic from doom.  <g>

> Does this make sense? It doesn't to me. Maybe network conditions are much
> more of a factor than I'm considering (it is an hour later).

Crossover cable between the two.  Poof, no more other traffic.