httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject RE: more multithread unsafe stuff
Date Fri, 19 Dec 1997 16:09:02 GMT
On Friday, December 19, 1997 5:03 AM, Dean Gaudet
[SMTP:dgaudet@arctic.org] wrote:
> The following functions are thread unsafe, and we use them (some of
them
> in core code, like in main/util.c):
>
> ctime
> asctime
> localtime
> gmtime
> strtok

There is a frightening note in the Microsoft documentation about how
many
C runtime systems they have.  The note has a title like "Problems with
CRT"
I find it by looking up the terms "problems" and "CRT".  It's worth
reading,
but the short form is that each of the three has it's own globals (file
table,
memory allocator, etc) and it is easy to find yourself in a process with
more
than one of them in use at the same time.

One of the libraries is "thread safe,"  I havent' checked to see what
Apache
is configured to use today.  Even there the time functions listed above
aren't
safe.

So, this is a problem today on windows.

  - ben h.