httpd-dev mailing list archives

From bh...@gensym.com (Ben Hyde)
Subject thread safe modules
Date Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:32:09 GMT
I heartly agree putting a mutex into palloc() is a bad
idea.

But I'm shocked.  Yes it's a bummer but by default the old
contract was that a module was called in a thread safe way.
I'd never be able to tell my customers I was changing an
API in this manner.  Reminds me of all those casual changes
Sun made moving to Solarius (and it's currently regularly
making to Java).

This is made worse that the change only effects the new
market, i.e. WIN32.  First it increases the barriers to
entry for applications layered on top of Apache, i.e.  it's
not just of matter a recompile.  Second it lays a trap for
the Unix users: they need not convert and then later you'll
be telling them "Oh, yeah we changed the rules quite some
time ago."

Yes the core modules are wonderfully stateless, but what's
that prove about customer modules?  Surely it doesn't prove
that they should be stateless, or even that they are
typically stateless.  What percentage modified mod_example
to get started?

A possible compromise is an pseudo module that encapsulates
a classic module serializing it's callbacks.

 - ben