httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: more multithread unsafe stuff
Date Fri, 19 Dec 1997 19:04:54 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Ben Hyde wrote:
> > There is a frightening note in the Microsoft documentation about how
> > many C runtime systems they have.  The note has a title like "Problems
> > with CRT"  I find it by looking up the terms "problems" and "CRT".  It's
> > worth reading, but the short form is that each of the three has it's own
> > globals (file table, memory allocator, etc) and it is easy to find
> > yourself in a process with more than one of them in use at the same
> > time.
> The three runtimes are: single threaded (LIBC), multithreaded (LIBCMT) and
> multithreaded-DLL (MSCVRT). All Apache components use the
> multithreaded-DLL runtime. You can get into trouble if you compile parts
> with different runtimes, but the linker will bitch about it (unless you do
> /NODEFAULTLIB or otherwise fiddle with it). Apache doesn't fiddle, and
> links without warnings.

Actually, one of the things I fixed early on was a mismatch between
Apache and some module's library choice which caused no warnings but did
cause total runtime failure. Can't remember which. So I'm not convinced
that the linker does bitch (but we were using 4.x at the time, not 5).

Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|
and Technical Director|Email: |Apache-SSL author
A.L. Digital Ltd,     |
London, England.      |"Apache: TDG"

View raw message