httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: On avoiding stat()
Date Thu, 18 Dec 1997 22:37:01 GMT
No, I don't want to rewrite what has already been written. Here is what
I would like to do:

Main rule:
a file can only enter the cache once it's been thru all Apache normal
processing stuff.

Hence:
1) sometime before process_request() I check if the requested file is
in my cache (I may have to check a lot of CGI-request names etc.)

2) if yes, and the request is not IMS
I send the file from cache assuming that is no big deal if it's a bit
stale. I need to make sure process_request() is not called.

   if no, I call process_request().
if the request comes back to me I may want to cache it.

The reason why I want to avoid stat is that after stat(), open() is
much less of a problem (the directory block has been read).

Is what I said realistic?
The main problem is to avoid the process_request() call after I send
the file from cache :(

thanks,
igor