httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Apache user survey
Date Sat, 13 Dec 1997 05:29:34 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I'd really like us, the developers, to get a better sense of who's using
> Apache, what they're using it for, what they like and don't like about it,
> and what the user base thinks would be good in terms of future features and
> priorities.  Given that as a volunteer project we're a whole lot less
> beholden to these types of things than a commercial company; yet several of
> us here are reliant upon Apache for commercial reasons, and I think for the
> others this would be very useful to have.  Trying to gauge this information
> from the bugdb and newsgroups is like trying to determine how good a movie
> is based on the amount of popcorn on the floor afterwards :)

I also would very much like this to happen.  I think we need to be
very careful about the phrasing; posing survey questions with unbiased
connotation indices is a science - or at least an art.

We might want to consider breaking it into two pieces: point-of-sale
(so to speak) and after-market customer satisfaction.  "Why did you
choose Apache?" and "Are you happy you chose Apache?" respectively.
Maybe a link on the "you did it!" page to the POS survey?  (Unfortunately,
that would result in forty-eleven people from *other* sites speaking
their minds because of the age-old "I want X and the site says it's Apache!"
problem..)

I definitely think we want to actively solicit suggestions for enhancements
and improvements.  They should go through a self-aware filter of some
sort (maybe the thing that's running the phantom 1.3b4-dev server I've
detected on Mars from time to time ;-) and then get entered in the bugdb
as change-requests.

#ken	P-)}