httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs
Date Sun, 07 Dec 1997 17:04:55 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > OK, I've zipped it (and probably a pile of tosh it didn't need) and it
> > is available at httpd/dist/ApacheIS.zip. The path it lives in on my
> > machine (which may have to be identical) is:
> > c:/work/apachen/InstallShield
> > the apache tree will definitely need to be rooted at c:/work/apachen.
>
> Got it, and .... ugh, IS5 has to be one of the worst programs I've ever
> used.

I'm not going to argue with that! Perhaps we should see if InstallShield
will improve it for us...

> You simply cannot seem to use the installation configuration files
> in a different directory from the one where it was original made. Not only
> that, you can't even easily change the location of the files it is
> distributing. Actually you can, because all the config files are plain
> text, except that it splits them across *dozens* of separate configuration
> files (one per "file group"). It would be a nightmare to maintain this in
> CVS such that multiple developers could access it from their own machines.
> Yuk yuk yuk.

Yep.

> Plus I cannot figure out how to do a single-exe build (Ben: I guess you
> did this using PackageForTheWeb -- is that a separate program, or a freely
> available extension?).

I did do it with PackageForTheWeb. It is a separate program. AFAIK,
there's no reason you shouldn't also have a copy of the "official"
Apache Group versions...

> Or how to do a build from the command line. And no
> upgrade path from IS2 configurations.

Disgusting, isn't it?

> I thought that IS2 was bad, but at least you can do easy single .exe
> install programs, and its configuration is stored in a single file so you
> can search-and-replace path names when you import/export it from CVS.

No comment.

Cheers,

Ben.