httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Tatarinov <tatar...@prairie.NoDak.edu>
Subject Re: Module init called twice?
Date Fri, 05 Dec 1997 18:31:02 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> $ httpd -d/some/path
>
> Excerpt from /some/path/httpd.conf:
>
> ServerRoot /some/other/path
>
> This is perfectly legal. But the server has already made configuration
> decisions based on "/some/path". So Apache starts up, reads config files,
> then shuts down, and forgets everything except the configuration details,
> and does it all again. This had been determined to be the "best" way of
> doing things.

So after reading /some/path/httpd.conf, Apache has to read
/some/other/path/httpd.conf and re-init all modules?
Sounds odd (why not start it with -d/some/other/path instead)
but maybe someone needs that.

Yet, it's not clear to me why we need main::init_modules() if
standalone_main::init_modules() is called right after it.

> And as has been mentioned already, a module should be able to handle
> restarts, as many of them in close proximity as the server can (and Apache
> can handle quite a lot in a short amount of time). So having Apache start
> and stop and start again at startup ensures that module authors don't
> screw this up.

This of course makes a lot of sence and I assume clear_pool() will clean
all modules that have registered their cleanups with it. right?

igor