httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b4-dev Sun Nov 30 11:16:51 EST 1997
Date Mon, 01 Dec 1997 16:00:24 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > I've done some work today on ASP, and I think I've got it sussed. At
> > least, I'm starting to get it sussed, and I have actually managed to run
> > a VBScript from my own program.
>
> Wow, that would be too cool for words. I'm not clear though -- are you
> saying you've got ASPs to work when accessed via Apache?

When I wrote the email I was running under a testbed, but was confident
that it would work under Apache. Since then I have successfully served
pages generated by VBScript from an Apache module.

> What are us using
> as the scripting host?

Either I don't understand the question, or the answer is "something I
wrote myself".

> What about all the nasty little tricks like
> session/application object lifetimes?

I haven't thought deeply about this but it seems to me that it should be
reasonably easy to do if we abandon the multiple process idea - and
possible to do if we don't. But it did occur to me that it would be a
Good Thing to make the facility general (that is, not restricted to
scripted objects), and portable.

This is, of course, related to 2.0 stuff about shared memory and such.

> Do we have to make Apache into a
> DCOM/C++ monster?

The DCOM/C++ monster is entirely confined within a module DLL. So far.

> > Question: should we emulate IIS's ASP, do our own, or both?
>
> Erm, isn't there only one ASP, i.e. microsoft's? If we have a scripting
> host, with support for the ASP objects, then users can use any scripting
> engine... Or am I missing something?

Well, yeah, there's only one ASP, but obviously one can have similar but
not identical sorts of things. I'd be rather surprised if we can expose
all of Apache's functionality within MS's ASP, but I could be wrong.
I'll have more to say about that when I get further down the line.

Cheers,

Ben.