httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: SBNWire
Date Thu, 18 Dec 1997 22:32:10 GMT
At 07:21 PM 12/18/97 +0000, Rob Hartill wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, sameer wrote:
>> 	I know zippo about xml?
>
>same here, but if it's something MS like and want to promote then
>I'm happy not knowing. You can be sure they're only supporting 'X'
>because it's at the expense of a better 'Y', where 'Y' is something
>MS missed out out claiming as their own.

Whoa, look out for jerking knees!

XML is a GOOD thing.  It's what the SGML folks had been claiming SGML was
all along, yet much easier to understand and implement.  That is, a
metaformat for describing structured document formats.  It's being pursued
as a way to describe data at a high level and leave the sorting, searching,
and formatting functionality up to the local client rather than the remote
server.

I haven't followed XML closely recently but what I've tangentially seen
suggests they're on the same course.  XML is just another data format; a
"mod_xml" might be a parser which converts a raw XML file into
pretty-formatted HTML based on a mapping from XML to HTML elements.

And from what I've heard it's being considered as a future standard file
format for things like MS Excel and Access.  I dunno about you, but I like
the idea of documented file formats.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				   brian@organic.com