httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject [CONCEPT]
Date Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:03:40 GMT
I'd like to propose this concept...

Right now, we have all the details of all the platforms that Apache
runs on in conf.h. What I'd like to do is create a subdirectory
called platforms and place small header files for each OS
in there (one for SunOS, one for Solaris, one for IRIX, etc..).

When Configure does it's job, it pulls the right header file
out of there and then places it in src/main/platform.h which is
itself included by conf.h instead of the big OS-specific
section.

The reason, is that since platform.h is generated "on-the-fly" as it
were, Configure can also adjust it as needed and append stuff to
the end like

   #define HAVE_GETPAGESIZE

or whatever as Configure also determines automagically what
functions and capabilities each OS has. Thus, we reduce the need
to "hard-wire" settings in conf.h (or platform.h for that
matter) and can create things as needed (I know, I know, this
is similar to autoconf's config.h stuff; the advantage is that
many things are already known).

The idea came to me when thinking about how Configure could see
if the OS has the getpagesize() call... Configure could do the
test and then add something to CFLAGS, but this seemed ugly to
me, esp if we use the same method for other items...

No doubt someone will bring up the point that we're re-inventing
the wheel and the autoconf debate will start back up again. My
point is, however, why not reinvent the wheel if it means we
get a better wheel or at least that we can mold to our own
needs.

Comments? Ideas? Large sums of money??