httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/htdocs/manual/mod core.html
Date Tue, 23 Dec 1997 01:14:15 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > Marc Slemko wrote:

> > > No, flock() _right now_ unlinks before it tries to open the file.  It has
> > > to because otherwise on your typical server, booting, hitting the power
> > > button, then rebooting would kill it if it didn't.
> >
> > Assuming that the httpd daemon gets the exact same PID
>
> On many, if not most, it will when started at boot time.

Not necessarily(sp?) if the server is power-cycled. That's because during
the clean-up action, different processes may/will be started during the
boot cycle, resulting in a different PID. Heck, depending on when
httpd is started, you could have named/named-xfer and sendmail already
running firing off stuff in the background.