httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: 10 Technologies You Need in 1998 (Web servers) article
Date Sun, 14 Dec 1997 03:07:59 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >Unfortunately, they do not have the pie chart that they used in the
> >printed  article. That chart said that Apache holds only 8% (eight) of the
> >Internet server market. The Web copy of the article does mention though
> >that Netscape holds 42% and IIS 28%. They say the study was done by Zona
> >Research.
> Yup.  The Zona survey was responded to by CIOs, CTOs, and MIS directors, not
> by sysadmins or engineers.  I'd be willing to be that many folks who use
> Apache don't tell their bosses they do, and since "Apache" isn't a line item
> in budgets it doesn't even register with those corporate types.

Yeah... it cheesed me off that they didn't even mention that other
surveys place Apache at the 50% mark.

Course, this is always what's to be expected by PC mags (and most anything
from ZD is, to my mind, mostly a PC rag)... Geez... you'd think the
'Net was built by Microsoft and Netscape.

      Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services           |