httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject HEUREKA! (was: Update about my core dumps on mainframe)
Date Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:09:01 GMT
On Fri, Dec 12, 1997 at 04:02:31PM -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> I'll see if I can find anything in mod_mime.  I suspect the problem is
> actually in the core.

Dean,
 Finally, I found the bug! The server is up and running happily with an
almost complete of modules, and serves fine.

 Thanks a lot for all the help you gave me with this. Actually, it was
a silly oversight I never thought of: the EBCDIC char set is not contigous,
and thus ('z'-'a'+1) != 26, an assumption which was made in mod_mime's
hash() macro. So all this time I had a memory overwrite after mod_mime's
init_mime() was called. I will have to dig thru the rest of apache to
see if a similar assumption is used at other corners of the code.
The appended patch changes nothing on an ASCII machine, but fixes the
core dump on machines with character sets different from ascii (as long
as 'a' < 'z', that is...).

So, after a little more testing (and adding the chunking charset
protocol conversion), I could post the diffs to the list, maybe the
coming week? It would be the first mainframe port which is standard part
of apache. No fear, the differences are minor.

    Martin