httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Names
Date Thu, 11 Dec 1997 23:34:04 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Ben Laurie wrote:

> > > Fine, but what about the documentation problem?
> > >

> > It's just that, a problem :-)
> >
> > No really, I think that some sort of agreement is needed. For example,
> > the httpd.conf file vs. the apachectl file.
> >
> > I, for one, would say that we should rename httpd to apache.
> > We should wait for 2.0 though to do that. In the meantime, we note
> > that the server is called Apache, and under UNIX the process name
> > is httpd and under Win32 it's apache. Ugg.
>
> That isn't good enough. Either we call the Unix version apache, the
> Windows version httpd, or I sulk.
>
> I still think my original suggestion is the way to go: call the Unix
> version apache and softlink httpd to it.

Well, I think that 2.0 should be called apache as well. The best move
would be to keep things as they "are" now but after the build,
have the makefile link httpd to apache (ie: apache is a nickname
for httpd, and not the reverse). This will get those running 1.3
"used to" the alternate name when we release 2.0. We can even
say that we "strongly suggest" that people start using the apache
name instead of httpd.

Also, to be consistant, things like httpd.h should be renamed
apache.h, etc... Again, this is best left for the 2.0 version.