httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: general/1521: supports less virtual hosts
Date Sat, 06 Dec 1997 02:36:15 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> What about providing some sort of test script people can run which lets
> them know what kind of system limits their httpd is likely to run into?
> Something that did more than just pretty-up the results of "limits", but
> took into account internals of Apache and said "you can support N vhosts in
> your current environment", with links to information on how to increase
> that number?

Some of these tests would be easy, things like "how robust is their
mmap implementation" or "how many times can we call open() before
we run out of fd's". Others are harder, such as "Does their TCP/IP
stack have a FIN_WAIT_2 timeout" :)

I think that's a good idea. We should generate some sort of "wish
list" of what we'd like to test for, and then pick the ones we
can do.

We'll need to something similar for 2.0 anyway :-)