httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: another naming question
Date Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:29:41 GMT
On Wednesday, December 24, 1997 6:41 AM, Alexei Kosut
[SMTP:akosut@leland.Stanford.EDU] wrote:
[snip]

> And an API consistent through upgrades has merits. One thing I'm
> considering is the lack of commercial support for Apache modules. If I was
> a company that, two years ago, downloaded IIS 1.0, read the (pretty
> decent) ISAPI spec, wrote an ISAPI extension, which I sold in binary-only
> form, that extension, without touching a thing, would still work with IIS
> 4.0. Now, Microsoft has added a lot to the spec since then, but it's still
> binary compatible with the old files.

Not that it adds much to this discussion, but to set the record straight,
the company I used to work for (Process Software) wrote ISAPI 1.0, spec
and all. MS got involved at the end and as a result, everyone knows it as
Microsoft's ISAPI. Sigh. But Murali did most of it, including getting it into
Purveyor (our WWW server).
[snip]

> -- Alexei Kosut <akosut@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>
>    Stanford University, Class of 2001 * Apache <http://www.apache.org> *

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell