httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: more multithread unsafe stuff
Date Fri, 19 Dec 1997 15:49:37 GMT
On Friday, December 19, 1997 4:59 AM, Dean Gaudet
[SMTP:dgaudet@arctic.org] wrote:
> The following functions are thread unsafe, and we use them (some of them
> in core code, like in main/util.c):
>
> ctime
> asctime
> localtime
> gmtime
> strtok
>
> Now, it depends on how the win32 libc is implemented... those could be
> implemented using thread-specific data, and be semi-safe.  I suspect
> that
> must be the case, because we use them in such core code that you win32
> folks would surely have seen some insanity by now.  If they're
> implemented
> using thread-specific data it just means you can't pass the pointers
> returned to different threads...

I believe there are 2 run time libraries that ship with VC++, one for
single
threaded programs and one for multi-threaded programs. Often, folks will
always link with the MT one, since installing both is disk-space
intensive.

> Dean

DDa

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell