httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: what user does Apache run as under NT?
Date Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:29:54 GMT
On Monday, December 15, 1997 10:32 AM, Francois Beauregard
[SMTP:FBorg@fbli.com] wrote:
> At 22:14 97-12-14 +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >Marc Slemko wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone?  Forgive me for not knowing NT.
> >
> >Now you are asking. I tend to view NT as such a hopeless mess of
> >security holes that it isn't really worth considering which user
it
> >is
> >running as.
>
> 100% agree with you... :-)

NT actually got C2 certification, but only if you didn't connect it
to a network!

> You have 2 choices, a special user account that you can configure
> from the
> "services" control panel, OR...
>
> The SYSTEM user... a user that is even lower then the Administrator
> in the
> system (I'm not sure but if I remember well, most of the kernel
> drivers are
> running as services, so it would put apache as a kernel mode
level..
> but
> don't take my word for it, check first...)

No, services do NOT run in kernel mode (at least user services like
Apache). The
SYSTEM user is a pretty truncated account that really can't do much.
Since most
services are installed with the defaults, that means the SYSTEM
account.

> Francois Beauregard
> FBorg@fbli.com

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell