httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: Win32 support question
Date Mon, 08 Dec 1997 16:18:05 GMT
On Monday, December 08, 1997 11:03 AM, Paul Sutton
[SMTP:paul@eu.c2.net] wrote:
[snip]

> Well, far be it from me to suggest that they were wrong with this
> registry
> lark, but for IIS5 they've dropped the registry in favor of the
> "metabase", which is kind of like a private registery for IIS4 (or
> to put
> it another way, they are storing the config information outside the
> registry in a per-application binary file). All they need to do now
> is
> change the file format to be ascii-readable and it'll be just like
> Apache's config files. Ha ha ha.

Ha! It appears that they have (once again) returned to their OS/2
roots
as this is exactly what OS/2 .INI files are (binary formatted per-app
files, although there is a "system" .INI file you can store stuff in
as well).

> >From the latest Win32 SDK: "The metabase stores your IIS
> >configuration
> parameter values in a fast-access, memory-resident data store. The
> metabase is specifically designed for use with IIS and is faster,
> more
> flexible, and more expandable than the Windows NT registry"

Gee, and here I believed their line about the registry being "fast,
flexible
and expandable." :-)

> > Seems a tad extreme, but the tray app could certainly use a key
> > for the
> > installation directory
>
> Yeah, lets decide on a location and use it. How about
>
>  HKLS/SOFTWARE/Apache/Apache

Right now, I have a HKLM/Software/The Apache Group/Apache/1.31.100
key with nothing
in it (left over from a previous install, I'd guess). How about using
that with keys of
InstallDirectory: REG_SZ: E:\Apache (or wherever its really
installed)
ConfigDirectory: REG_SZ: E:\Apache\conf

> //pcs

DDA

--
David D'Antonio CNE - dda@SpamBeGone.individual.com
 Some they do and some they don't and some ya just can't tell