httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject RE: fix the FAQ
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>Thanks, but it still doesn't fix the main problem, which is that the FAQ
>isn't giving the solution that most people need.

    From where are you drawing this 'most' stuff?

>Saying that a "Limit GET" isn't restricting other methods is a FAQ.
>Saying that a "Limit GET" isn't allowing other methods doesn't happen
>much.

    I see what you mean..

>Most of the people that look at this question are trying to figure out
>"method not allowed" and interpret "access denied" (which isn't actually
>given as any response) as meaning that.  The fix for method not allowed is
>almost always that they don't have their server setup to think of the file
>in question as a cgi, ie. they are POSTing to a static file which won't
>work.

    Where are you getting this 'most' business?  Maybe most of the
    people for whom this FAQ isn't appropriate are really looking for
    what you say, but you'll nevber know the numbers of those for whom
    it suffices..

    Actually, I think your issue's a completely separate FAQ.  I think
    there are really three in this area:

     1. Why is my "form submit" being allowed despite my <Limit>?
     2. Why does my "form submit" get "method not allowed"?
     3. Why does my "form submit" get "forbidden"?

    The current section only addresses the last.  And which probably
    isn't the most FAQ of the three (my guess would be that they come in
    the above order).

    {Sigh}  I'll take a whack at it later to-day..

    #ken    P-)}