httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Separate Win32 package for 1.3b3 icons & htdocs
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
>
>Yes, it works. But hang on a minute, we haven't released the
>IS executable yet because it _is not finished_.

    Well, actually, we *did* release it - strictly 1.3b3, which means
    beta, which means warts like excluded files that need to be
    separately installed are acceptable.

>                                                I don't want to put a
>damper on the good work that's going on, but we need a proper IS installer
>soonish. People want it. Having to pack up and distribute separate
>archives of things missed-out from the installer is not really on.

    For a final 1.3, d'accord.  For a beta, I don't see it as being a
    problem.  Ben just didn't have the time to build all that stuff into
    the IS package, and we couldn't release 1.3b3 without a Win32
    version, so we've got a UNIX source dist (no binaries) and a Win32
    two-part install.  The Win32 piece will install and work just fine
    without the additional /icons/ and /htdocs/ trees; they're just
    amenities to make it complete.

>To finish the IS installer, we need
>
> -- to include htdocs and src directories
>
> -- create custom & typical installs (and remove the full/minimum
>    install options)
>
> -- give some information after the install finishes rather than
>    just exitting. A readme will do for now. Later it could be an
>    option to run a batch file which installs Apache as a service
>    and optionally does a startup on it

    Yes indeed - but for 1.3b4 or later.

    #ken    P-)}